Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Thanksgiving

I am not preaching this coming Sunday, our National and Harvest Thanksgiving. But I will post some of my thoughts over the week. I will also post a sermon from a previous year.

Perhaps you have been told, as I have, to count your blessings. It is intended to move us to give thanks. There are times when such words have no appeal to me. In my head I know that I should be thankful. But in my heart is only heaviness. The power to appreciate and be grateful is a gift from God. Thankfulness is not put on. Rather it wells up in us. "Give us thankful hearts," is a good and realistic prayer, not only at this time of Harvest, but all through the year.

We have been challenged this year at St. Francis to "count our blessings" in a tangible way. Every time we have something to thank God for, we put our spare change in a little jar that we have been given. The jar is to be brought back to the church on Sunday. I have enjoyed the challenge. It has helped me to realize just how blessed we are to be living in Canada. The stock market may be fluctuating wildly, but we have plenty to eat and a roof over our heads. As we come to a Federal election, it is wonderful to reflect on the freedom we enjoy in this wonderful country of ours.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

No comments:

The Second Sunday after Epiphany, Year A

Come and See Readings: Isaiah 49:1-7; Psalm 40:1-11; 1 Corinthians 1:1-9; John 1:29-42 Invitations come in many shapes and sizes. They ...